Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Components that wont update

This is bugging me, though I must admit it's not a very commmom problem.

I have a particular group of components that simply wont update when recompiled.

I mean I alter the code, recompile sucessfully, but the "new" component contains the old code not the new code.

This particular set of components is slightly unusual in that they have a few lines of code in a frame action, I alter the frame action code, so there can be no question about it having "picked" up an old file, but the final component shows the old code.

The work around is I have to copy the component out into an empty fla, recompile it in the empty fla, and it is then updated and I can then delete the new fla.

I have tried all sort of different "tricks" to get flash to properly compile these components like "save and compact", delete and paste, but nothing works except compiling in a new empty file.

There are very rare occasions where this happens in other components but they tend to be rather random and usually you end up having to scrap the fla and start again but this particular set it is permanently repeatable.

Just wondering have others come across this issue of components that don't properly update when recompiled?

If you have is there any pattern to the problem and how do you work around it?

4 comments:

  1. Actually the "changed" code in this case is not in the aso at all its in the frame action or even just in graphic assets.
    That seems to be the issue in this case, Flash just wont wake up to the fact the contents of the symbol have changed and somehow "reads" an old version every time it recompiles.
    As said it is also is fixed without deleting the aso files by simply just doing the compile in another fla. Actually I keep both movies open when I do this and cut and paste the component into the new movie and it compiles correctly, I keep the old movie as my "working" file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come across this issue and I think the old timeline code persists in the 'test component' that you would get with the 'convert to compiled clip' action.
    If you delete these test compiles from the library and then recompile them instead of simply updating them then then old code should also disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I've got the same problem yesterday. My component has mc on its timeline. When I changed the mc, and updated my component's compiled clip, only LivePreview did show it right. SWF contained old version of the component!
    Today with lack of hope, I've opened my fla, disabled "1st frame export" for some others (non-related to my component) movie clips, and gave it a try. Suprise! Everything works fine now.
    Do you know now what's going on with it? I've got no idea.
    Regards,
    ih2r4g.

    ReplyDelete