Friday, August 12, 2005

New Flash 8 Player Security

Someone on Flashcoders today mentioned that one of our demos crashed under FP8, so I installed FP8 to check it out.

Whilst checking into the issue I ran the application from my local PC and came face to face with the new security features of FP8 from a user perspective.

All I can say is I hope it is improved by the time it is released.

The application basically links to our site and downloads an XML document and some jpg's.

First I got the message box saying that a potentially dangerous thing had been stopped and I needed to click settings if I wanted it to go ahead, fine so far. Bit to long a delay while it fires open a new browser and heads of to the MM site to show the security setting screen but ok if this is really unavoidable. Once there it took me a while to realise that I needed to add the url of our server as a trusted location and restart but OK got that done.

On restart I get the same message, again go to MM site, so maybe I got the wrong url, so I enter another of our servers url's as trusted and restart.

and again... and again... didnt matter what I put in it wasn't what FP8 needed.

So in the end I just clicked the option to say just trust everybody..

Thats fixed it..

Now this may be just a beta issue, but a suggestion here.
When you go to the security page why not tell me what the url the application was trying to access was and then just give me the option to say "OK that one is good" 'cos in reality no user is going to actually enter trusted sites it will be "all" or "nothing" unless you give them something to click.



4 comments:

  1. Same thing happened here, only worse...
    Local .swf, used to access net. New player8 security warning comes up, but when ione clicks to access the settings - nothing happens. It fails silently, no macromedia site from the net, no browser window, no popup, no way for the end user to tell the .swf file from the CD to access the net.
    This has rendered our app, which has been out there for years, useless.
    The fp8 will not let the end user onto the net.... we're dead if this is reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it warning you of? I hope it is not throwing up a dialog if there is a policy file in place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never needed a policy file, it would just call the net from a locally saved web page, now it won't.
    The security popup opens and when you click "change the settings" or anything, it just dissapears and nothing else happens - and won't pop up again untill the web page w/ flash is reopened.
    seems this is the new way... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I understand. This really sucks.

    ReplyDelete